Oil & Gas
Oil & Gas Resources
Oil & Gas Basins
Maps & Publications
Oil & Gas Facts
Oil & Gas FAQ
- ►How do I obtain information on oil or gas wells drilled in Wyoming?
- All oil and gas well information is maintained in a database by the Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (WOGCC). The database is accessible at the WOGCC website.
- ►Who regulates the oil and gas exploration and production industry?
- Drilling and production on Wyoming State Lands and on private lands are regulated by the WOGCC. Drilling on Federal land is regulated primarily by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management or the U.S. Forest Service.
- ►I own property in Wyoming with mineral rights. How can I learn if oil, gas, or other minerals may be on my land?
- The WSGS is not in a position to evaluate properties. However, there are many consulting geologists located throughout the state that can help answer this question. Consulting geologists can be found locally or often advertise in the newsletter published by the Wyoming Geological Association. Certified professional geologists are licensed by the Wyoming Board of Professional Geologists and a list is maintained at their website.
- ►I hear so much about “fracking” in the news but don’t really understand what it is. Where can I find more information?
- Fracking is another term used for “hydraulic fracturing.” Hydraulic fracturing involves pumping, under very high pressure, a mixture of water, proppant (sand or an artificial proppant), and specific chemicals, into an oil or gas reservoir, to create a network of connected fractures to increase hydrocarbon production. The Association of American State Geologists produced a 2-page pdf document to explain hydraulic fracturing. More information on hydraulic fracturing can be found on websites by the U.S. EPA, the Watershed Council, and the Geological Society of America.
- ►Is there a repository for cores and/or cuttings in Wyoming?
- No. All publicly available cores and cuttings for Wyoming (as well as other states) are stored at the USGS Core Research Center in Lakewood, Colorado. More information can be found at http://geology.cr.usgs.gov/crc/.
- ►Do you have any information on historical oil production in Wyoming?
- Yes! WyoHistory.org has an interesting article on “The Oil Business in Wyoming” by Phil Roberts. Check out their site for more information.
- ►Where can I find more information on statistics for Wyoming’s oil and gas industry?
- Further information on oil and gas statistics, including production, prices, and more, can be obtained from the following downloads or website:
- ►What other agencies might have useful data?
Ranie Lynds (307) 766-2286 Ext. 235
Rachel Toner (307) 766-2286 Ext. 248