September 1, 2006
WSGS releases eleven new maps
Eleven geologic maps of different areas in Wyoming are now available from the Wyoming State Geological Survey (WSGS). The maps include six new color map compilations and five color maps previously only available as blackline open file reports. The maps were prepared in cooperation with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) with funds from STATEMAP 2005, the National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program between state geological surveys and the USGS. Through the WSGS, the State of Wyoming contributes dollar-for-dollar matching funds for the program, currently in its twelfth year.
The new maps are listed below:
1. Surficial geologic map of the Baggs 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by J.C. Case and L.L. Hallberg. WSGS Open File Report (OFR) 06-3 – $25.00 (rolled only).
2. Surficial geologic map of the Medicine Bow 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by L.L. Hallberg and J.C. Case. WSGS OFR 06-4 – $25.00 (rolled only).
3. Preliminary geologic map of the Pilot Hill 1:24,000-scale Quadrangle, by A.J. Ver Ploeg and J.F. McLaughlin. WSGS OFR 06-5 – $10.00 (rolled only).
4. Preliminary geologic map of the Midwest 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by S J. Wittke. WSGS OFR 06-6 – $25.00 (rolled only).
5. Preliminary geologic map of the Bill 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by R.W. Gregory. WSGS OFR 06-7 – $25.00 (rolled only).
6. Preliminary geologic map of the Sundance 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by W.D. Hausel and W.M. Sutherland. WSGS OFR 06-8 – $25.00 (rolled only, includes 26 p. explanatory text).
7. Geologic map of the Miners Delight 1:24,000-scale Quadrangle, by W.D. Hausel (revised and updated August, 2006, replaces 1992 version). WSGS Map Series (MS)-38 – $10.00 (rolled only).
8. Geologic map of the Guernsey 1:24,000-scale Quadrangle, by R.E. Harris, J.F. McLaughlin, and R.W. Jones (replaces Preliminary Geologic Map (PGM) 97-1). WSGS MS-68 – $10.00 (rolled only).
9. Geologic map of the Guernsey Reservoir 1:24,000-scale Quadrangle by R.E. Harris, J.F. McLaughlin, and R.W. Jones (replaces Preliminary Geologic Map PGM-98-3). WSGS MS-69 – $10.00 (rolled only).
10. Geologic map of the South Pass 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by W.D. Hausel and W.M. Sutherland (replaces WSGS OFR 05-5). WSGS MS-70 – $25.00 (rolled only, includes 24 p. explanatory text).
11. Geologic map of the Newcastle 1:100,000-scale Quadrangle, by J.F. McLaughlin and A.J. Ver Ploeg (replaces WSGS OFR 05-4).WSGS MS-71 – $25.00 (rolled only).
The above maps are currently available in hard copy only from a color plotter. Except the Sundance map (Number 6, above), all of the maps were prepared using digital mapping techniques. The digital map data (plottable and viewable files plus ESRI shapefiles and associated metadata) will be available for purchase on CD-ROM in mid-September.
To order these maps, visit the WSGS on the University of Wyoming campus in Laramie or contact the Publications Sales Office at 307-766-2268, ex 224. Wyoming addresses please include 6% sales tax. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Call for postage costs.
Contact: Richard W. Jones
from the Office of the Wyoming State Geologist
Ron Surdam, State Geologist